Bringing super-telephoto capability to the X Mount
Introducing the FUJINON Lens XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR
Super-telephoto zoom that offers premium image quality, lightweight design and outstanding speed
FUJIFILM Corporation (President and CEO, Representative Director: Teiichi Goto) is pleased to announce the launch of the “FUJINON Lens XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR (XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR) on July, 2022. The new lens joins the extensive lineup of interchangeable XF lenses designed for the X Series of mirrorless digital cameras, which are renowned for their compact and lightweight design and outstanding image quality delivered with Fujifilm’s proprietary color reproduction technology.
The XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR covers focal lengths ranging from the telephoto 150mm to the super-telephoto 600mm (equivalent to 229mm – 914mm in the 35mm film format). It supports teleconverters and, if fitted with the XF2X TC WR, its range extends to up to 1200mm (equivalent to 1828mm in the 35mm film format), allowing liberal framing unrestricted by shooting distance to capture wildlife and wild birds, or tracking athletes across all corners of a vast stadium in sports photography. Furthermore, the lens boasts lightweight design and fast and highly-accurate AF, thus offering perfect operability and advanced subject tracking performance even at the super-telephoto end.
The XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR is a super-telephoto zoom lens that covers up to 600mm (equivalent to 914mm in the 35mm film format). The super-telephoto range is prone to image degradation with axial chromatic aberration, but the lens takes advantage of its construction, consisting of 24 lens elements in 17 groups including three ED elements and four Super ED elements, to deliver an advanced level of image resolution edge to edge across the entire zoom range.
The XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR has been designed with a focus on keeping it lightweight. The result is a non-extending Inner Zoom lens that weighs just 1605g and has minimal shift in weight distribution for a stable grip with reduced burden. Users are assured of ease of use even during extended photography expeditions for wildlife, wild birds or sports photography in search for a decisive photo moment. The fast AF system, driven by the linear motor, attains a perfect focus quickly and accurately even in the super-telephoto range, where focusing is difficult due to a shallow depth of field, thereby assuring to capture a decisive photo opportunity.
- Product name, release date and pricing
|Product name||Release date||Recommended retail price (including tax)|
|XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR||June 2022.
Stock ETA in SA late June, early July
|R34000,00 incl vat|
(1) Zoom lens covering Fujifilm lineup’s longest super-telephoto range in pursuit for premium image quality
- The new lens covers Fujifilm lineup’s longest focal length range, from the telephoto 150mm to the super-telephoto 600mm (equivalent to 229mm – 914mm in the 35mm film format), making it a perfect choice for wildlife, birds and sports photography.
- The lens, consisting of 24 lens elements in 17 groups including three ED elements and four Super ED elements, thoroughly suppresses axial chromatic aberration, typically seen in super-telephoto lenses. It delivers a high level of edge-to-edge image-resolving performance across the entire zoom range
- The HT-EBC coating, typically used on broadcast lenses, has been applied on all elements to achieve high transmittance and low reflectance despite containing 24 lens elements.
- It supports the teleconverters “XF2X TC WR” and “XF1.4X TC WR.” When coupled with the XF2X TC WR, this lens covers focal lengths range from 300mm to 1200mm (equivalent to 457mm – 1828mm in the 35mm film format).
(2) Rugged yet lightweight design to reduce user load, enabling extended shooting in a variety of situations
- It weighs just 1605g despite being a super-telephoto zoom reaching up to 600mm (equivalent to 914mm in the 35mm film format). Two Super ED elements are used as frontmost elements to keep the lens barrel small while maintaining an advanced level of image-resolving performance. The use of the Inner Zoom system means the lens barrel has a plain, non-extending structure. The result is a lightweight lens that zooms easily with no shift in weight distribution.
- The lens body is in matte silver to mitigate its temperature increase during operation. This reduces the risk of the lens heating even during wildlife, birds or sports photography in sweltering heat, giving users peace of mind.
- Magnesium alloy is used for the internal base frame that supports the lens structure to keep the weight low and make it robust at the same time.
- The lens barrel is weather-sealed at 19 locations to ensure dust- and weather-resistance and ability to operate at temperatures down to 10 degrees Celsius below zero. It can withstand use in nature photography in a field of snow or in the tropics, or in sports photography under rough weather.
(3) 5-stop image stabilization mechanism
- At the super-telephoto 600mm focal length (equivalent to 914mm in the 35mm film format), the longest in Fujifilm’s lineup (*1), the size of camera shake becomes too great to be controlled with in-body image stabilization. It becomes therefore necessary to apply fine optical axis adjustment in the lens before an image is formed on sensor. The XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR features a high-precision sensing and control system to deliver a 5-stop (*2) optical image stabilization mechanism, one of the strongest for super-telephoto zooms, making it easier than ever to shoot at the super-telephoto range, most susceptible to camera shake. Users can take full advantage of the mobility of the compact X Mount when shooting super-telephoto photography hand-held.
*1 As of May 31, 2022
*2 Compliant with CIPA in pitch / yaw directions
(4) Diverse functions for fast and silent AF and easy AF operation
- The lens uses the Inner Focus system, which drives the compact and lightweight focus lens group with a linear motor to achieve a fast and silent AF. The focus is attainted quickly and precisely in just 0.25 seconds (*3) even in the hard-to-focus super-telephoto range, ensuring to capture a decisive photo opportunity.
- The Focus Preset function is featured so that the lens remembers the focus for a location pre-defined with the SET button (*4). Users can keep shooting without having to re-adjust focus on a targeted subject.
- The Focus Limiter is another feature, allowing users to restrict the lens’s AF range. This can effectively shorten AF time when photographing a subject that is 5 meters away or more. The Focus Limiter can be activated with the focus range selector.
- The Focus Control button is placed at the front edge of the lens barrel (*4). Use the Focus Select switch for added operability of AF and focus lock.
*3 AF speed measured at the telephoto end, using an internal measurement method compliant with the CIPA Guidelines, when mounted on the mirrorless digital camera “FUJIFILM X-T4” with Phase Detection AF activated and the High Performance Mode turned ON. The AF speed at the wide-angle end under the identical condition is approx. 0.15 seconds.
*4 Camera firmware must be updated to activate the Focus Preset function and the Focus Control button. The update is to be released later for the FUJIFILM X-T4, FUJIFILM X-T3 and FUJIFILM X-S10.