Highest burst-mode / AF performance and video performance in the history of the X Series
Mirrorless digital camera “FUJIFILM X-H2S”
High-performance flagship model with highly robust body and extensive interface options to cater to diverse professional needs
TOKYO, May 31, 2022 – FUJIFILM Corporation (President and CEO, Representative Director: Teiichi Goto) is pleased to announce the launch of the mirrorless digital camera “FUJIFILM X-H2S” (X-H2S) in July 2022. The camera joins the lineup of the X Series of mirrorless digital cameras, which are renowned for their outstanding image quality in both stills and videos, delivered with Fujifilm’s proprietary color reproduction technology.
The X-H2S is a new flagship model boasting the highest performance in both stills and videos in the history of the X Series. This has been made possible by the use of the new stacked-layer back-illuminated 26.16MP “X-TransTM CMOS 5 HS”*2sensor capable of reading signals 4 times faster than the previous model*1, and the high-speed “X-Processor 5” boasting double the processing speed of the previous model*3.
The X-H2S features an evolved AF system capable of shooting up to 40 frames per second and offering newly-developed subject-recognition AF technology, and can even film 6.2K/30P and 4K/120P video. Other features include the five-axis in-body image stabilization that offers up to 7.0-stop advantage*4, highly-robust magnesium body, hardware that incorporates operability improved from the previous model, as well as extensive interface options including the new slot for a CFexpressTM Type B card*5 and an optional file transmitter (sold separately). The new camera caters to the diverse photographic needs of professional photographers and videographers in both stills and videos in categories including sports photography, bird photography and single-person on-location work.
In 2012, Fujifilm released the mirrorless digital camera “FUJIFILM X-Pro1” featuring an image sensor and a processor developed in-house. Since then, the company has evolved the X Series, releasing four generations of the devices over the last decade in pursuit of advanced image quality and portability. With the launch of the latest model “X-H2S,” the X Series heralds the arrival of the fifth generation of devices, X-TransTM CMOS 5 HS and X-Processor 5.
【About the new devices】
- X-Trans™ CMOS 5 HS： This 26.16MP image sensor inherits the previous model’s back-illumination style but also adopts the stack-layer structure to become the first stacked APS-C sensor capable of quadrupling the speed to read signals compared to the current model. It has dramatically-improved performance, including up-to-40fps blackout-free burst mode*6 and significantly-better AF rate during continuous shooting. As for video performance, the sensor can record 4K/60P video without cropping with substantially reduced rolling-shutter effect.
- X-Processor 5： The all-new processor has double the processing speed of the current model. It has improved image resolution at low ISO sensitivity and reduced noise at high ISO sensitivity in stills, while delivering significantly improved AF accuracy and speed. The use of the AI processor enables subject-detection AF, tracking a targeted subject with increased accuracy. In video, the processer enables filming 4:2:2 10bit video at 6.2K/30P and 4K/120P, and supports a variety of codecs including Apple ProRes 422 HQ*7. It also has lower power consumption, thus extending the maximum video-recording time, and supports a CFexpressTM Type B memory card.
The X-H2S makes full use of the capability of the fifth-generation devices to achieve a substantial performance improvement.
- Major boost to the burst mode capability: The camera can apply AF / AE tracking in blackout-free continuous shooting of up to 40 frames per second, and can shoot over 1,000 frames continuously when setting the high speed burst shooting mode to 30 frames per second (JPEG) or 20 frames per second (RAW). *8
- Dramatically evolved AF performance: The increased number of AF calculations performed per second has improved AF accuracy, provides a subject-recognition AF function, and improves prediction algorithm to dramatically improve Zone AF and the capability to track a moving subject under low-contrast environment.
- Improved video performance: The camera supports recording 4:2:2 10bit video at 6.2K/30P and 4K/120P internally. The sensor’s readout speed during video recording has been improved to 1/180 seconds, suppressing the rolling shutter effect. It supports three Apple ProRes codecs; ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422, and ProRes 422 LT. When recording ProRes, X-H2S also supports proxy recording such as ProRes 422 Proxy. Another new feature is F-Log2 capability with dynamic range expanded up to 14+ stops, which enables much smoother tonal expression.
*1 In comparison with the X-TransTM CMOS4, carried in the current camera models
*2 X-TransTM is a trademark or registered trademark of FUJIFILM Corporation.
*3 In comparison with the X-Professor 4, carried in the current camera models
*4 When mounted with the FUJINON Lens XF35mmF1.4 R
*5 CFexpress™ is a trademark or registered trademark of the CompactFlash Association.
*6 High-speed continuous shooting free from the viewfinder blacking out, preventing users from seeing the subject; This is only available when using the electronic shutter.
*7 Apple ProRes is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the United States and other countries.
*8 This is only available when using the electronic shutter.
- Product name, release date and pricing
|Product name||Release date||Recommended retail price (including tax)|
Stock ETA in SA late June, early July
|39,999.00 incl. VAT|
【X-H2S’s main features】
- Best capability to track a moving subject in the history of the X Series to capture decisive photo opportunities
(1) The camera is equipped with a back-illuminated stacked-layer 26.16MP “X-TransTM CMOS 5 HS” sensor, the 5th generation of X Series’ image sensors. It has signal readout speed about 4 times faster than the current model to achieve blackout-free continuous shooting of up to 40 frames per second. The camera controls phase-detection pixels independently from image display during the burst mode. This triples the number of calculations in phase detection information from the current model*9, and enables high-speed focusing even during high-speed continuous shooting of 40 frames per second, thereby significantly improving AF accuracy in the burst mode.
*9 Mirrorless digital camera “FUJIFILM X-T4”
(2) The use of the new sensor and the processor is coupled with an increased built-in memory capacity to dramatically increase the number of frames that can be continuously recorded in the burst mode. When using the electronic shutter, the camera can shoot over 1,000 frames continuously*10 at up to 30fps in JPEG and 20fps in RAW.
*10 In a cold start
(3) The EVF uses a high-resolution 5.76-million-dot panel with the magnification of 0.8x. The smooth viewfinder with the frame rate of approx. 120fps also offers improved visibility thanks to strong suppression of parallax and distortion that occur when an eye position becomes displaced while using the viewfinder, thereby enabling accurate tracking of subject movements.
- Substantially-evolved AF performance with the use of new devices and enhanced algorithm
(1) The use of the new devices and improved prediction algorithm for AF have led to a major boost in the camera’s capability to track a moving subject and autofocus accurately in Zone AF or in low-contrast conditions. This means a subject that keeps on moving can be accurately tracked, such as athletes and wild animals.
(2) The new image processor features a subject-detection AF function, developed with Deep Learning technology. It detects and automatically tracks not only the human face / eyes but also animals, birds, cars, motorcycles, bicycles, airplanes and trains to maintain autofocus. Users can concentrate on shutter opportunities and framing, as the camera can keep a targeted subject in focus constantly.
- Evolved video performance to cater to diverse needs
(1) The use of the new sensor / new processor has enabled saving 4:2:2 10bit video at 6.2K/30P internally, recording high-definition video while retaining extensive color information. The camera also supports filming high-speed 4K/120P video so that a momentary action of a fast-moving subject can be presented in smooth slow-motion with fine details.
(2) The sensor`s readout speed during video recording has been reduced to as fast as 1/180 seconds. The rolling-shutter effect is well-controlled to present a moving subject naturally.
(3) X-H2S supports three Apple ProRes codecs; ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422, and ProRes 422 LT. When recording ProRes, X-H2S also supports proxy recording such as ProRes 422 Proxy, streamlining the overall workflow from filming to post-production.
(4) AF performance for video recording has been enhanced. The camera supports the AF+MF function in the video mode, and offers the subject-detection AF function also during video filming, tracking a fast-moving subject in both stills and videos.
(5) Another new feature is F-Log2 capability with dynamic range expanded up to 14+ stops. The greater dynamic range than the current F-log broadens post-production potential.
(6) To cater to the needs of professional photographers, the camera has a new heat-dissipating structure to substantially increase the maximum video-recording time and enable recording 240 minutes of 4K/60P video*11. Attach the optional cooling fan “FAN-001” to enable extended video recording even in high-temperature conditions.
*11 When recording video at 25℃ in a cold start, with the auto power-off temperature set at “High,” bit rate of 100Mbps, a vertical battery grip VG-XH mounted and using three batteries. The recording duration depends on remaining battery charge and the type and capacity of a memory card used. When the main unit heats up, filming may automatically be terminated.
- Hardware / design / operability to assist users’ shooting experience
(1) The camera features an all-new five-axis in-body image stabilization mechanism, which offers up to 7.0-stop advantage thanks to the new processor and a new sensing control function. Users can comfortably choose to hand-hold the camera to shoot active situations such as sports or in low light conditions such as nightscape.
(2) The new camera inherits the popular design features of the X-H1, such as a large grip that works well with large lenses, an LCD display on the top panel for users to check settings any time, and highly-robust camera body that withstands heavy professional use. Furthermore, user feedback has been reflected to bring more improvement in operability:
・The shutter button’s operational feel has been adjusted to improve its operability when it is half-pressed, helping users release the shutter exactly as they intend.
・The design of the large grip, one of X-H1’s popular features, has been brushed up to make it even easier to hold when using a longer or large-aperture lens.
・A standalone video-recording button has been added for enhanced video operability in combination with the 1.62-million-dot vari-angle LCD monitor.
・Compared to previous models, the new camera offers improved operability with its buttons and dials, e.g. improved button materials and load adjustment to the AF ON button, so that users can handle the camera exactly as they intend.
(3) Shutter durability has been further improved, withstanding 500,000 actuations in the company’s test.
(4) The camera features dual memory card slots supporting CFexpressTM Type B and SD cards. Use the CFexpressTM Type B card with high-speed data processing performance to draw out the full potential of X-H2S’s fast continuous shooting and video performance, and achieve comfortable shooting*12.
*12 See the Fujifilm website for a list of verified compatible cards.
(1) Vertical battery grip “VG-XH” (for the X-H2S)
・The vertical battery grip is dust and moisture resistant and operates at temperatures as low as -10 degrees Celsius. It fits two of the high capacity battery “NP-W235.”
・The grip features various buttons in convenient locations for vertical shooting to provide the same level of operability with horizontal shooting.
(2) File transmitter “FT-XH” (for the X-H2S / due to be released in Sep 2022)
・This file transmitter features wired LAN connectivity and high-speed wireless communications capability, essential for in-studio tethered shooting or sports / media shooting. It can be also used as a vertical grip. It fits two of the high capacity battery “NP-W235.”
・It can be combined with the X-H2S to support the following communication specifications:
1 FTP transfer by wired LAN / wireless LAN / USB smartphone tethering
2 Tethered shooting by wired LAN / wireless LAN
3 Remote Rec function by wired LAN / wireless LAN; Capable of controlling up to 4 X-H2S cameras from a browser at the same time
(3) Cooling fan “FAN-001” (for the X-H2S)
・This is a cooling fan, specifically designed for the X-H2S to facilitate extended shooting and video recording in high temperature.
・The fan can be fitted to the rear of the camera body without a cable and supplies power, extending continuous video recording time at high temperature, and eliminating concerns of heat-related camera shutdown.
(4) Cover kit “CVR-XH” (for the X-H2S)
・This is a cover kit for protecting various terminals on the camera.
＜Items contained in this kit＞
・1 x Sync terminal cover
・1 x Hot shoe cover
・1 x File transmitter / vertical battery grip terminal cover
・1 x Cooling fan terminal cover
・1 x Memory card slot cover